Our Learning Philosophy
SELA’s Progressive Classroom Approach
Teachers design experiences for students with the idea that through experience, students construct knowledge and build skills.
- Emphasis on learning by doing — hands-on projects, expeditionary learning, experiential learning
- Integrated curriculum focused on thematic units
- Strong emphasis on problem-solving critical thinking
- Collaborative and cooperative learning projects
- Highly personalized learning and focus on individual goals
- Selection of subject content by looking forward to asking what skills will be needed in a future society
- Emphasis on group work, lifelong learning, and social skills
- Assessment by evaluation of child’s projects and production
How we measure success
We use ‘learning standards report cards’ at SELA. Each content area is broken down into specific academic skills and knowledge, increasing instructional consistency across teachers and grades and allowing parents to have detailed information about their child’s learning and skills.
9 Learning Sectors at SELA
LANGUAGE –Oral Language, Reading, Writing
MATHEMATICS –Cognitive and mathematical skills
SCIENCE –Discovery and relationships with the natural environment
SOCIAL STUDIES –Concept of self, family, and community
PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT –Development of gross and fine motor skills
ART –Creativity and artistic appreciation
MUSIC –Acquisition of language by sounds and recognition
AUTONOMY –Self-help and independence
SOCIO-EMOTIONAL SKILLS –Self-awareness and relationships
We are Global Citizens!
At SELA, we put emphasis on developing the whole child, to establish a solid and broad foundation for lifelong learning and well-being. An emotional intelligence component is built into the SELA, curriculum, which help students to identify and manage one’s own emotions and the emotions of others. Every month our students are introduced to, understand, and practice the core values that make SELA a unique and strong academic community. Students are exposed to activities, literature, and songs to support these values.